- My name is Martin Jacobson - known to most as Coach Jake! I am a native New Yorker, born in Brooklyn.
- A soccer coach and educator, working in public schools all of my adult life as a teacher, counselor, athletic director and coach.
- The “winningest” soccer coach in the history of the New York City Public School Athletic League.
- Pioneered the sport of soccer in the State of New Mexico and was the first public high school soccer coach.
Long before achieving successes with the MLK team, I too have faced my own battles off the field, including drug and substance abuse. I am proud to be clean and sober now for over 30 years.
I believe life is less about what is given or one chooses, and more about what people do with what they have and how they share what they’ve learned with others.
- 15 New York City Public High School championships over the last 19 years.
- Consistently ranked as one of the top 20 high school soccer teams in the United States by ESPN and National Soccer Coaches Association of America.
- A high school graduation rate that is around 95%. A home to many great kids from a large, diverse population. Each year the team is made up of American kids and new immigrants from around the world - from first generation Americans; from West Africa to the West Indies; and from Central to South America.
Learn more about what my team and I are doing to combat poverty, homelessness and immigration challenges as we work together to KICK IT FORWARD.